Tuesday, April 05, 2016

TORTURE

TORTURE

I haven't read this book CONSEQUENCE but am ordering it simply as a show of support for the author. I heard Terry Gross's interview on NPR. (She is the best interviewer ever to me). Her interview of the author was about our tangled involvement in Iraq as relates to torture. Listening, hurt my heart. What the f..k is wrong with us. We invade a country, spend millions of dollars and in the title of this book, have to face "consequences." 

This author's views of torture were so "right on." Call it any bureaucratic name, it is still torture and to think we have leaders (No, not leaders but sorry ass politicians) who think, it is OK to torture is pretty sad to say the least. 

I was so impressed with this author: Eric Fair: had been an enlisted man in the Army, then was a contractor twice, doing interrogations. This is his "Memoir," and from my perspective, about "his view of himself" (A lot and coming to terms with his involvement in what we were doing which was "wrong").

There were consequences for him personally. And, of course, the out and out wrongness of what we were doing. The interview pricked me at that point; never any doubt that we are in a "moral lapse" in issues like this: Invaded Iraq under faulty intelligence and ended up with something like Abu Ghraib/ Guantanamo. Absolutely moral lapses. What the interview says to me is that our sense of right and wrong and what we are about as a "Country" has to be corrected or we are lost. 




No comments: