Monday, April 25, 2016

GOLD STAR FAMILIES

Last night "Sixty Minutes" had a really poignant segment of what they called the Gold Star Parents/Families (not sure of title). It was at Marines Memorial in San Francisco. (This alone causes me to smile. If there has ever been a place more of a contrast than Frisco, I don't know where it would be). I am not going to recount all the story of the 60 
Minutes--don't think I could. Marines Memorial is a hotel, restaurant, bar, etc; most of all as viewed by the Marines, a living memorial. Now, it has provided a place where all the men and women who died in Iraq, Afghanistan--their names are on a plague, on a wall. (Somewhat like the Vietnam Memorial Wall).

A retired, "old salt," Marine, retired 2 star and Vietnam vet was the "shaker and mover" in getting this done. The "take away" for us from the program is that the parents desperately wanted their sons and daughters to be remembered. It was important to them. I get it. 

No comments: