Sunday, November 23, 2014

CHRISTIANITY

Yesterday, I went to a Catholic Mass which was a Memorial Service. I always come away fairly reflective. For one thing, the Catholics are very athletic. Up and down, up and down. The service was steeped in what the Catholics do, I guess. Having been to several masses before, it was fairly familiar. 

The Priest's  sermon was good. He talked about a longer journey, referring to Chris, who had been Jackie's work colleague. She was on a longer, more important journey. Then he related a conversation he had with her about who might be waiting for her on this journey. I took it to mean heaven

It did get me to thinking. First of all about Christian theology. And, I have to explain this often to these old guys I hang out with. What makes being Christian different than other religions, which I don't know all that much about, but as to something; Islam, for example, you merely declare you are a Muslim but in Christianity, there is a "conversion" experience. You are suddenly heading in one direction and through many different circumstances  or however/whatever, you embrace Christianity and accept all Christ has done, died for you on the cross, taken your place, whatever, which produces a "new" you. This is very simple for a believer but profound too.  A MYSTERY!

Heaven is another aspect. Almost impossible to explain but comforting. And, as Jackie says, regardless of status or wealth or whatever, in this aspect, we all end up at the same terminal

And, then of course, we have the Catholics themselves. I have been accused a few times of being hostile to Catholics. Probably true, one of my faults, cannot stand what I consider religious bullshit. The Catholics have canon law which, in my way of thinking, is outside the Bible and issues like the priest as Jesus on earth, able to forgive sins; the Pope speaking as some sort of divine authority. Bullshit. I am guilty of bad mouthing the Catholics, I guess. 

OK, I am going to stop. Any comments? I have written a book. My motive for all this is rarely do I go to church and I am sure I have told you this before. I usually come out of church feeling worse than when I went in. Jackie is very involved but I blog, etc., on Sundays like the above. Comments?

No comments: