Saturday, March 30, 2013

WELCOME TO AMERICA

To my knowledge, I don't think that I've personally seen up close someone who was simply racist. The setting: Starbucks, waiting in line when a person, several feet away, said to my friend who is Asian, "you are freaking me out by being this close." My friend and I are "freaked" out ourselves by her comments. We laugh and move on to getting our coffee. (I will have to say that it was one weird experience and think that we ran into a crazy). Really, we weren't even that close, other than to each other and I do think that was what she didn't like. We may have been hugging. My friend is a nurse at the Cancer Infusion Center. All day long, she deals with people fighting for their lives. She is great. And hugging is a part of her life. We start out the door and this same woman says to my friend, "Welcome to America" which obviously is racist. Amazing. I honestly didn't know people like this existed. F..king weird. This is San Francisco, the bastion of tolerance, do your own thing, be whoever you are or want to be. Stand on any corner in San Francisco and hear five different language. An interesting thing about this racist: well dressed, attractive female. What the hell. Weird! You want to say to this person: "What in the f..k is your problem?"

No comments: