Thursday, March 21, 2013

COMRADERIE

Most of the “troops” who are participating in war have a Love/Hate relationship with it. They hate it because of the surroundings of death, the wounding of their buddies, the evil, and the tough circumstances in which they are required to exist, etc. At the same time, they love:

1) The indescribable relationships they develop. Very few, if any, environments, mold meaningful relationships as the environment of war. I still have friends from my V-N experience that seem somewhat sacred when we see each other or when we communicate. A few months ago I spoke at a Prayer Breakfast at Fort Lee in Virginia. One of my friends from the 1-1st. Cav. (Americal Division) was there (He has a son stationed at Ft. Lee) I didn’t know he was there until after the program was finished. When he came up to the podium I felt like he was my brother…I felt somewhat emotional as he did. In fact, for a short while we could hardly speak, but just hugged each other. Bottom Line: A friend forever… Nearly all troops develop those type of relationships with a significant number of their colleagues. The 1-1st. Cav Is having a reunion this Fall…Nov..in El Paso. I have received a few e-mails from several encouraging me to attend (I am planning on it) One particular individual that started communicating with me is a surprise because during the time we in the unit, although we were friends, we weren’t “bosom-buddies.” In his e-mail he recalled an incident /ministry for which he wanted to thank me and he went on to express much appreciation. At the time I had no idea it meant anything to him. One never knows!
2) Even though the carnage of war is traumatic and difficult to experience, most troops recognize that they are involved in a very meaningful mission and that they are part of something that is much bigger than self. Although there are a minor number that can’t deal with it, most can, and, in fact, are ultimately strengthen as a result….perhaps, not immediately, but ultimately.
3) Almost, without exception, the troop talks and acts like he/she is living for their DEROS (date expected to rotate from overseas)--troops keep short timers calendars, etc. In the process they build and imagine an ideal situation and environment when they return to their homeland. In most cases, when they return, within a couple of months they are disappointed, disillusioned and would rather be back with their buddies. I think this is more true of male service members than female service members. It is also less true of those that go back to a good marriage. However, quite often, even the meaningful and strong marriage is challenged because of the disappointments of coming back to a society that doesn’t live up to what was imagined when they were in the war zone.


No comments: