Tuesday, January 26, 2016

SUPER BOWL

It is on to the Super Bowl. The hype begins. Tickets are dirt cheap, however, $4500 for the nosebleed seats. To be honest, I am not the greatest of football fans as it is. I don't know what has happened to me. (Actually went to college on a football scholarship till I failed out) I am pulling for the Broncos. Why? Several friends to include my son-in-law, are passionate fans. 

To be honest, San Francisco doesn't get much from the Super Bowl, based on who you believe. I listened to the two sides and in typical politician style, “don’t confuse me with facts, I have my mind made up.” Supervisor Kim I believed more. Well, what about issues like hotels, those great places for $1500 a night minimum. Supervisor Kim says, “the hotels would be full anyway.” The most telling thing to me, however, had to do with arguments of the benefits of the “Super Bowl. “ The Mayor for instance. Rosy picture. He should have been a general in Iraq, those rosy reports of how great we are doing only to be run out later. Mayor talking about the dough rolling in based on analysis. Guess who did the analysis, marketing firms. True academic studies told a different picture. How will we ever know the truth.? We won't , think the mayor or any politician will ever admit it. Please! Give me s break. 

Many San Franciscans are ticked off with the NFL because they will not reimburse Frisco for the $5 mil they are spending. (I am joining a movement calling SF, Frisco, like they did a 150 years ago). Of course, many San Franciscans will be enjoying all the parties (streets already blocked off), musical groups, and round the clock entertainment which the NFL has promised. 

Nobody is interested in my views, especially a dyed in the wool football fan but let's face it, football is a brutal game. I can still remember my coaches saying, "until you get your bell rung", you weren't hitting anybody. No telling how many concussions we got, really. 

I haven't seen it yet but am going to see this movie called “Concussion.” I think that I saw where one in four NFL players will, at some time, be diagnosed with TBI (traumatic brain injury), resulting in early Alzheimer's/dementia). Pretty sad. I am not going to quit watching football but will see it a little differently from now on. 

No comments: