Saturday, January 09, 2016

CONNECTED

This day is significant for lots of reasons but two, for sure.  My brother Raz, who is in the next life--today is his birthday. He left this life a couple of years ago and I still miss him, terribly. He was the patriarch of our family and took the position seriously. Always getting together, being there for us in a crisis. A Marine on Guadacanal, he never ceased living the Marine motto, Sempi Fi. Happy birthday, Brother. 

Then there is my best buddy from Vietnam, Phil Woodall. He was a poet. I can still see him in my mind's eye, sitting  or leaning back on his "ruck sack," writing verse. Phil never left Vietnam. I don't mean physically but emotionally.  Regardless, Phil always stayed upright. A renaissance man. I loved him. We all loved him. 

He was an infantryman and after he'd been in Vietnam a year, decided to stay for another one. To no avail, I tried to talk him out of it. 

After Vietnam, he had a good career. Not sure exactly what. However he was absolutely devoted to his Vietvet buddies and kept us ever alert to being there for each other. He singlehandedly was responsible for honouing his brother vets at the dedication of the Vietnam Memorial. He called wanting me to go and would not take no for an answer. 

Phil stood before "The Wall" and touched those names of our unit, 1/501 Airborne Infantry Battalion, who paid the ultimate price. Because the names are on "The Wall" on the day they died, Phil knew every single one and recounted the battles and events surrounding their death. I was awed at his knowledge. I shouldn't have been. It was Phil. 

Thanks Sergeant. God bless you my brother. In his honor, I am downloading his book of poetry, "Rhymer In the Sunset," Geronimo, Phil. 

A last thing. I have always believed that this life is not the end. Not exactly sure how the afterlife works but it is comforting to me. Consequently, I have to think that my brother Raz and Phil have connected. They are probably both somewhere telling war stories. 

No comments: