Thursday, January 12, 2012

GITMO

Very early on, I grasped through ecperience that prisons bring out the worst in people (I started off my military career as an officer involved in the stockade, which military prisons were called in the day). An axiom exists, passed along by my brother, who for a long time, worked in a state prison system. He said that in six months, it was hard to tell who the guards were and who the prisoners were. I think GITMO has brought out the worst in us. What amazed me is the lack of cry that has ensued. What the f..k, are most Americans asleep at the wheel. Let me relate this story. Too long, other than to give my biased salient points. The U.S. arrests this guy in Bosnia. Bosnia's supreme court investigates and says there's no evidence this guy is a terrorist. The Americans still take him to Guantanamo (I don't know how they could do this). There, he is treated awful, remains in custody seven years. Missed his kids birthdays, gets no mail. Treated so unAmerican makes me ashamed. The guy's life is ruined. And, those who decided all this bullshit in their own war on terror are sitting at home enjoying themselves. Nobody ever apologizes or says they fucked up. Read the story: nytimes.com/opinion

No comments: