Saturday, December 31, 2011

WAS IT WORTH IT

All this week, it seems that the various news programs have interviewed soldiers back from Iraq with the question, "Was it worth it?" What do we expect them to say? Soldiers at war have to believe that what they are doing is the "right" thing. It is in the psyche of most soldiers. One story dealt with a small town where several soldiers from a National Guard Unit had died. Sad.

Was it worth it? We can't asked the soldiers NOW! They are too close to it. When I was in Vietnam, I supported the war. I had too. How else could I look at it. Seeing my buddies die, the ravages of war. How could I not say we were justified/doing good. Give me a break! Now, way down the road and many years before even, I can say assuredly, the sacrifices of Vietnam were for nothing. It was a sorry war, almost as ill conceived as Iraq. And, worst of all, the sorry MFers, the powers that be, didn't learn s..t from Vietnam. In a way, I will have to say this for LBJ, he kind of "got" how he had f..ked up in the end: no second term. Nixon is the real culprit. When he promised to get us out of Vietnam, we only had a few thousand lost to that sorry ass war. By the time he resigned, 58,000 plus had given their lives for s..t. Was Vietnam worth it. F..k NO. Was Iraq worth? F..k NO!

No comments: