Tuesday, December 13, 2011

The Prez On Sixty Minutes

Sixty Minutes is one of my favorite TV programs. I find the stories penetrating and mostly relevant. I don't care much for the celebrity interviews but nothing is perfect. Sunday night, Steve Kraft interviewed the President. I don't get it for one thing: why the president would subject himself to the media that mostly are interested in a story and not the truth. I guess the Sixty Minutes format is the best. Steve did a pretty good job, he's no Mike Wallace which in my opinion is mostly good, no softballs and a little more gentle that I like --the President was candid, answered the questions directly. But, I still don't get it. You can't convince people who have their minds made up. And, let's face it, most Americans were watching a ballgame or some reality show. Give me a break. In fact we went to a dinner party of about a dozen recently. I did my own little survey: "any of you watch Sixty Minutes Sunday night? Zero, zilch, none.

And, what the f..k is it with these polls? Nobody ever polls me. How a question is asked probably determines how it's answered. F..kkkk; still 73% disapprove of the way he's handling the economy says the survey. If it were me, I would give them the finger. What the hell do they think the president is: a magician. The guy inherited a f..king mess anyway you look at it.

I think he has been a good president. I don't notice Americans out here sacrificing by in large; every seat in athletic stadiums are filled, every plane full, the roads are filled with cars. Yeah, I know there are people out of work and his illustration of the pilot of the ship in stormy weather strikes true. Fuck yes? Some people are unhappy but I don't see where the president can get the blame.

The Republicans are this bunch of recalcitrant buffoons, sure; but the ones that tick me off as well are the non thinking Democrats or Independents. Where the hell do you think you are going to go: to the Republicans who haven't had an original idea in the last ten years.

I thought the real telling comment of the President on Sixty Minutes was his reality check:he said something like.  "the Republicans have supported most of the legislation I've proposed in the past. However in the present climate in Washington, attach my name to it and the Republicans only know NO!!!!"

No comments: