Tuesday, March 22, 2016

Terrorism and Its Perplexities

I feel so bad for these poor folks in Belgium who are victims of terrorism. I don't know what we can do. This is the "new reality" I guess. 

Two of our friends who are traveling overseas. One in Hawaii and another in Prague. Should our friends be concerned about terrorism. Of course. What can they do? Awareness of their surroundings, of suspicion activities, the things that you would probably tell your kids if they were going on a trip. Not much you can do. I
t is the "new reality." 

When something like this happens or San Bernadino, I flip into the mode of what can we do? The answer--nothing really but we have to face the "new reality." Those committing these atrocities are ever present. They are not going away either.  

What about the "Unforgiven" approach? In the movie, Clint Eastwood kills the bad guys and then he gets on his horse and stops in the middle of the street where the townspeople can see/hear him. They are not the bad guys but were complicit with the corrupt Sheriff. Eastwood's friend has been killed and the people at the behest of the Sheriff have displayed him in a disrespectful way. Eastwood says to the townspeople: "You better give 'Ned' a proper burial or I am coming back and kill you and then I am going to hunt down all your relatives and kill them." He rides off into the sunset but there is no doubt that Esstwood will do what he said. The Belgiums, the French, US: we are not going to pull an Eastwood but we have to know that there are those that are complicit in this terrorism. Families, friends, acquaintances. What to do? How to handle? Danged if I know. I can merely asked the questions. 


{{{{{Jerry}}}}}

No comments: