Sunday, March 27, 2016

EASTER

When I was growing up, my Dad never went to Church. However, he always insisted that I go. We lived about three miles out in the country and he would literally take me to church. As far as I know, my brothers were never subjected to the Church. I guess they were already gone. It was kind of odd. I asked him once, "Dad what gives?" 

I just think Church is a good socializing experience. I didn't even know what socializing meant. But,  church became a routine for me, place of belonging where I made lasting friends and developed a sense of self, not to mention a value system. Over the years I've come to see that Dad knew a thing or two about what Church might mean. I have many stories of my Church life like when the Preacher and the organist ran off together but will hold that for another day. The time I remember most is Easter Sunrise Service. My dad and I would load up in our old 48 Olds and in the dark drive to Greenwood Cemetery  where the service would take place. We would sit an hour or so and freeze. Finally it would get light and the people would gather. Dad and I make our way to the crowd where four or five preachers would take off with a sermon, usually had to do with this Bible verse  "I am the resurrection and the life. He who believes in me will live, even though he dies." Then if we were really lucky we got a sermon on the rapture. A mystery, like "Resurrection 101"--Jesus raises everyone from the dead. If we believe, our body will join our soul which is already with God and gone to heaven.  But if we didn't believe in God/Jesus our body will join our already tortured soul and face judgement. To a 13 year old, this seemed especially harsh unless we are talking really mean people. 

We had music interspersed throughout (Up from the grave He arose.  When the roll is called up yonder. The Service went on forever, actually lasted  about an hour and half. It was always cold, regardless of the temp or time of year. After it was over, Dad and I would make our way to the car. It was always a time of great satisfaction (over for another year. And, after all these years, I never miss Easter Sunrise Service. Through travel, inconvenience, even war, I would find a Service. Easter concluded. Now, a fond memory



{{{{{Jerry}}}}}



{{{{{Jerry}}}}}

No comments: