Saturday, December 29, 2012

Movie Reviews

ARGO Suspenseful and based on a somewhat implausible story. So improbable that it was true. Ben Afflick playing the part of an CIA agent heading up a rescue attempt of six Americans who managed to escape Iran--remember the hostage crisis. The Six were hiled up in the Canadian Embassy. One of the few times my brother and I saw things differently. Could have been that Vietnam was pretty close to me. My brother, Raz, a big Jimmy Carter fan, felt that we should have forcefully gone after them. I think Carter did the best thing. I heard an interview with him recently talking about it when he said that he told Iran, "if you harm any of the hostages, I am sending in the 82d Airborne.

LINCOLN. I didn't care much for the movie. Daniel Day-Lewis looked like him for sure. I've read lots of Lincoln and I didn't think this movie cast him in a good light. Sure, those who see a dysfunctional Congress as we now have would say we need a Lincoln. Who can dispute that? But, I have always thought of Lincoln as bigger than life, making right decisions way above petty politics. This movie cut him down to human and I didn't like it.

Jango. Typical Terantino movie. Blood and guts everywhere. A kind of Western in the format of No Country For Old Men. Everybody killed but the Director. What made the movie worth it for me was to see how awful we treated slaves. I have to assume that it was historically accurate. It made me ashamed to be a Southerner. We should be paying "reparations" to African Americans. Watching the movie, I wanted to hide under a rock. There was one scene where some stereotypical Southern begot, fat, beaded is whipping a slave while carrying one of these old fashioned dog eared Bible, quoting the Old Testament.

Terantino is apparently taking a page from Hitchcock where he put himself in the movie. What the movie did for me and maybe the Director had this in mind: make us feel so bad that our whole attitude changes , if need be, toward our fellow AA Brothers.

No comments: