Thursday, December 18, 2014

KISSING/MEMORIES

Who in this world would think that several old men (most in their seventies one in 80s) would want to talk about kissing. Most of us had read the article about kissing in the NY Times Magazine. It was about famous kissing. Stardom kissing, memorable kissing. We laughed. My favorite celebrity kiss was Adrien Brody and Hallie Barry. Now that was a kiss. 

Somebody said, don't you guys know, "all great love making begins with kissing."  We go for that. Then someone told a "war story" about his first kiss. He was about fourteen and had his eyes on this girl and was planning to sneak a kiss when she beat him to it. It was great. Instinctively, he knew that kissing was a wonderful thing. His mom constantly was kissing he and his brother. The reason he remembers so distinctly about this first kiss is a sad time; his mom was very sick and soon thereafter died. And, his dad, unable to care for he and his brother had placed them in a Catholic orphanage. This prompted another of the GFs (Girlfriends, name my wife gave us) to hop in. He was about seventeen. This may not have been his first kiss but the most memorable. He finds out there is a party at a friend's house. This was "in the day" before floating parties or social media. So this was a big deal. He shows up and maybe 10 or so there. He spots a girl that he doesn't know. They start talking. They kiss and somehow end up in the closet. They must have been in there an hour. All they did was kiss. The next day his lips were so sore he could hardly move 'em. He could hardly believe it. We laugh. Next came a story of not the first kiss but the best one he could remember. It led to other stuff that he wants to keep to himself. He was in the Army in Korea. After a movie, he and several GIs were sitting outside at the Snack Bar. In typical Army fashion, nobody paid any any attention to ethnicity. This gorgeous African American sat across from him. She was a Lieutenant in 2ID (Second Infantry Division). He was a lowly private. They were all in civilian clothes. She had gorgeous lips. She was definitely flirting with him. He thought he'd risk it. "Could I kiss you?" he said. She didn't say a word but leaned toward him. It was one of those five second experiences that seemed like eternity. Her lips were soft and utterly delicious. She departed the area and he never saw her again but it was not for a lack of trying. It was like she disappeared from the face of the earth. A couple of the GFs accused him of making it up. On more than one occasion, it had been suggested that he never let the truth interfere with a good story. 

This is a good one, as the story goes, I am about thirteen. My friend, not sure if she can be called a girlfriend: we were just great buds and had been to the movies. We are walking toward her house and we detour through the park. We stop. I know it is kiss time. I do it. I press my lips hard into hers. It was like Gary Grant did it. She takes a deep breath. "Oh no, I have done this wrong," I am thinking. She says, "that was terrible." I want to sink into the ground. My first kiss and I have f..ked it up. She touches me on the lips. She is older, afterall. She says, "Kissing is very important and I want to teach you," pausing, she said,  "you open your mouth slightly and you press your lips lightly on the lips of the other person." She put her fingers on my lips and kind of pursed them and then she gave me a little peck on the lips as if saying. "Relax, we can do this. Let's practice." We did for about ten times until she pronounced that I had mastered it. THANKS FOR THESE GREAT MEMORIES. 

No comments: