Sunday, January 06, 2013

HUNTING FOR HOMELESS VETS

VET HUNTERS PROJECT

Monica 22, was an Army parachute rigger who served from 2009 to 2011, spending time in Germany, performing test jumps out of planes. She has a 17-month-old son...couldn’t hold a job and couldn’t find a home for herself or her son...had to leave her son with mother — there was no room for anyone else where they were living. So I stayed in a car that my dad owned.


George, thank you for forwarding this to me. Do you have any way I could send a donation to this really worthy cause. As I have been relatively involved in attempting to reach the "homeless" here in various ways: too lengthy to recount. I think in San Fran, we are doing about the best we can. (City offers enormous services and one very important unacknowleged thing: police amazingly tolerant) What I've discovered which is simply fact, most of the homeless fit in three views: those who love the lifestyle, living on the streets, dope usually involved. Pretty savvy. Then, (2) those who are the chronic ones, mentally ill and should be institutionazed to evaluate and get help. Sometimes dangerous. (3) And then there is a small group that we stand some chance with: families, usually with children and those willing to go to rehab, with some family support somewhere.

I would never discount any of them. The one that jumped out at me was the female rigger, (I know lots about the airborne, obviously) child/husband. Even living in a car owned by her dad. What is there with that? An example of a "back" story probably that we don't know nor even have to know. God bless you for your ministry.

No comments: