Thursday, March 18, 2010

Vietnam



What I remember about Vietnam that hits me right away. After an operation, we would come into our FSB (fire support base) and would have these great barbeques. It was a great bonding time. Of course, we didn't call it bonding. They were guys that were watching your back and you were watching theirs. My main bonding buddies were my squad members, about ten of us. I remember one especially from Texas. We called him Mex. I don't know why. Everybody had a nickname. One of my buddies died not long ago. He was one crazy mf. Did you see,The Hurt Locker? Reminded me of the guy from that. To think that I made it through is sometimes overwhelming. I was just a nineteen year old kid when I went into the Marines. After High School, I had beat around, trying things. Nothing clicked. I had a low number in the draft and knew I was going to get drafted. It was in my future and I kept thinking, I've got to deal with this. And, to be honest, think about it. I'm a kid just out of High School going to City College, mainly to look at the skirts. I'm in San Francisco, the most exciting city in the hemisphere. Gays were just beginning to show up in the City then but I could have my pickings and was having the time of my life. My Mom and Dad and sisters were always after me to settle down. They didn't want me going to Vietnam. I kept trying to tell them that I'd probably stay right in San Diego or something. Right!!!! LG

No comments: