Tuesday, January 08, 2008

THE HILLARY FACTOR

Since the whole world has weighed in on Hillary and New Hampshire, I thought I might as well. I was amazed at how the press had inaugurated Obama (I like Obama and could vote for him) and written off Hillary. And, let's face it, mighty nice to know the pundits were wrong, not so much in terms of Hillary but in terms of how smug and arrogant the media has become on polls and predictions and prognostications.

I have one main reason that I support Hillary; she's a woman and men have screwed up the country, meaning the present White House--so, GO HILLARY!

And, to be honest, Hillary tearing up was kind of endearing and there are all kinds of theories of what that moment did. Some "know it all" a'holes say it was contrived (if it was, she is the best actress I've ever seen and I don't think so--regardless, I would refuse to believe it as I refuse to believe Randolph Scott was gay). Some credit the tears with turning on women for Hillary and men's natural inclination to rescue. Regardless, it was a very human moment.

On a personal note, I don't know why politics in our country excites us so. It is relatively insane. Politicians, for a moment, become one of us. Think about it: Hillary, for instance, has people at her beck and call and when she was First Lady, literally was American royalty in terms of never having to turn her hand. Here she is out with the "common" folks, pressing flesh. It's pretty refreshing.

Here's a last plug for Hillary, at least now: I envision a scene. Tensions are high with some world event. Advice is everywhere. It is Iraq revisited with the intell about as "sorry" as it was for invading them. No testosterone, chest beating, idiocy to the max--she weighs the options and thinks to herself, "this does not materially affect our country. American boys will die if I do this?" She turns to her advisers and says something like, "Have we done everything possible, is the threat really real, how does this affect us. Let's wait a bit more and watch this play out." See what I mean? Imagine where we would be today had not we invaded Iraq with the flimsiest of intell? I can tell you one place, almost 4000 more Americans would be enjoying life in our great country.

No comments: