Friday, February 05, 2016

SUPER BOWL CITY

Good example of the "haves and have nots." I decided yesterday to check out the Super Bowl hoopla at the Ferry Terminal/Justine Herman Plaza. Security was a little like airports. Walk through a detector. One funny thing where I went through, I recognized a "street person" that I actually knew and actually talked to her lots. She is a regular, right in front of the Ferry Building. I recognized her mainly as she has no teeth. Now, she is one of the security guards. I could only think, "good for her."

I didn't see what all the hype was about. Maybe it all happens at night. Kind of reminds me of the NC State Faire when I was growing up, without the animals. I will have to say this, the "tonish"  of the SF Police Department, which was there in force (overkill), was substantial. Don't they have a "Weight Control Officer." Oh well. 

I doubt the City (San Francisco) will get much out of it all. High rollers and even those who aren't will zero in on Santa Clara where the actual game is played. Personally I am a little sad. I think Frisco (I am in a movement to bring back the 150 year old name) has lost its way and the Super Bowl hype is an example. To hide the homeless/street people, they have moved them out of sight down to Folsom and 3d or fifth. This is something that might happen in LA or Chivago or Seattle or NY but not San Fran. SF has always accepted those on the fringes, the margins. The old rap on Frisco is that you could come to the City and be what you want. During the summer of love, Vietnam," if you are coming to San Francisco, wear a flower in your hair". No more. Open your billfold and if you ain't got it, get the hell out of here. It is now, "what is expensive in San Fran?" Everything. F..k. 

No comments: