Thursday, May 28, 2015

TALKING "Merica"

Yesterday, I went into a store in San Fran to buy a lottery ticket for my wife. We have a little joke, she wants to win the lottery so she could help a lot of mankind. The problem is that she has to buy a ticket. 

The clerk in the store seemed pretty hostile. He made some reference to his country, looked Middle Eastern (comments obviously subjective). I didn't engage him but laughed and said, "Want to make your customers feel good? Tell them you love 'Merica.' " I emphasized the Southern pronunciation. I smiled and moved on. 

Afterwards, I got to thinking. I really don't get it. Many immigrants that so desire to get to "Merica" don't seem to grasp what "Merica" has that is unexcelled anywhere in the world--freedom. We have a f..Ked up Congress, lots of selfish people, bigots, whatever; 330 mil, got to have a smattering of everything/everybody; but we have freedom. You can curse the country, say awful things about the Prez, whatever. You can get a sign and have on it, "F..K you very much;" and, march in front of City Hall. Nobody is going to come and cart you off. FREEDOM. 

No comments: