Sunday, January 18, 2015

THE CARTOONS

The News Hour and the NY Times both made the decision not to publish the infamous cartoons. Big mistake, I think. Philosophically, I would not say or do anything that would denigrate someone else. However, this is different. It is no time to attempt political correctness which I suspect with the Times and PBS. Reminded me of one of my favorite cowboy movies, Open  Range. The bad guys are intimidating Robert Duval and Kevin Costner who play cowboys merely exercising their rights. Charley and Boss (Duval) are in the saloon. When it looks like the townspeople are burying their heads in the sand about the rich cattle baron trampling people's rights. 
Kevin Costner's character, Charley, says something like, "there are some things in life that gnaw at you and so important that you are willing to die for 'em." 

The attack had one purpose: Intimidation. The NY Times and the PBS News Hour both folded and bowed to intimidation. They pretend something else but it is mostly billshit. 

Plain and simple, this is an issue so important that there is only one view in my estimation. In this case, I can only do what I can, cancel my subscription to the Times and cancel my pledge to PBS. To me it isn't the philosophy and merely disagreeing, it is something so fundamental to our value system that I have to do what I have to do. 

No comments: