Saturday, January 11, 2014

PHU BAI's Alright

Had a moving experience today at UCSF’s Mount Zion Hospital. A guy was sitting with a cap that indicated he was a Vietnam Vet. I did what I always do, “Where were you in Vietnam?” He said “Phu Bai.” 
I said. “Have you ever heard the expression, Phu Bai is alright.” Every GI who served in the northern part of Vietnam knows it. I go to the bathroom and when I come out, he is still there. I said to him, “Are you pretty sick?” 
“Yes. Anus cancer.” 
“Is it related to Vietnam? 
“I think so.” 
“What about VA?” They have turned me lose.” 
“What is your prognosis?” “Terminal.” 
“Sorry. God bless you brother. I will see you, if not on this side, the other side.” I saluted and he gave me a sharp salute back. God bless him.

1 comment:

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.