Thursday, January 16, 2014

GATES REVISITED

Gates, former SECDEF's publisher must be thrilled beyond happy. SALES, sales. 

I have listened to Gates on at least three or more interviews. I am seeing him a little more objective than I did initially. I don't blame these guys for writing books. As a writer myself (even though I am the only one who thinks so), I get it. You have this experience and you want to share it. What I do object too and especially with Gates is the  justification of their wrong headed decisions. By any objective view, Iraq and Afghanistan were major f..k ups and no amount of justifying is going to make it right. I haven't read Gates' book and don't intend too. It sounds like the media is doing their typical selective views. Seizing on sensational aspects, even sometimes taken out of context. They too need to be held accountable. 

What Gates saw as a "mess up" by the president, I see as strengths. A good military buddy of mine (the best leader I've known) agrees with this caveat. The Prez f..ked up by wanting to be inclusive, trying to do good by keeping Gates, a Republican, in his cabinet. 
Now it has come back to bite him in the ass in the form of Gates book. 

What I was struck with, however, was Gates avowed commitment to the troops. When I was in the Army, we had this little quip, "nothing is too good for the troops and that is what they get, nothing." This is not really true. In some ways, we go overboard. In Iraq and Afghanistan, the soldiers have Internet and TV and cell phones. Not sure this is helpful. (This can wait for another commentary). 

I think Gates is sincere about his feelings toward soldiers. I was moved when he told about writing condolences to families and crying. However, what Gates and those who have written their perceived story could have done is speak out about the futility of the wars we were fighting. By any stretch, Afghanistan and Iraq were a waste and Gates has to be held accountable for his complicity. The least he could do now is donate the proceeds from his book to some project like Wounded Warriors (Don't know anything about them, only what I've heard). 

Gates could be giving us some commentary now like, "get the hell out of Afghanistan as it, like Iraq, a fast train to nowhere. If we stay there a hundred years, we can not prevail." Gates could chide America. "We f..ked up. Now I want to right it." This is the real way he can support the troops.  


No comments: