Sunday, February 03, 2013

GOD AND SPORTS

Just heard this: some researcher, Robert Jones, in a poll, found that a quarter of Americans thought that "God played a role in winning" in Sports. In other words, God, if He/She so chose could give the 49ers, a Super Bowl win.

Bad theology, why don't I just get God to give me a winning lottery ticket. Lot of explanation and reasoning here if I wanted to take a few years. Let's suffice to say this: Ball players pray, politicians send prayers to folks in tragedy. The prez says, "our thoughts and prayers go out to them." (Could be a tragedy like Sandy Hook, refugees in Syria, etc.) the president doesn't literally pray (I don't think). It is what we do as decent human beings. We are, I believe, spiritual by nature. Athletes and politicians and us regular people are just following out nature when we say, "we will pray."

Would God reward the most spiritual ball players? Please! Come on!

So, a third of Americans believe that God determines the outcome of sports. I don't know why I'm wasting my time even reasoning about this. The pollster may have made this up. On the other hand, only a third of Americans believe this. Based on where we are in American life today and knowing a few sports nuts, you better believe they believe this, anything for an edge. Better than steroids. God bless 'em! See what I mean. Do I really want God to bless 'em. Or, will God really do it, anyway. F..k, don't we think God has better things to do. GO FORTY NINERS

{{{{{{{Jerry}}}}}}

No comments: