Friday, September 14, 2012

RACISM

My wife and I were recently discussing our southern roots and how Southern Baptists in particular could be so in the camp of a Mormon like Romney and the Catholic Ryan. No mystery to me. Racism. It is so deeply ingrained in those deep South states: South Carolina, Alabama, Georgia, Louisiana, Texas. Maybe my home state of North Carolina. Think anybody will admit it? This is all opinion. These southerners who are now embracing the Mormons are zealots. They are driven by basically, "don't confuse me with facts, I have my mind made up." Throw in the deep seated unspoken race issue and you have a "lock." And, it is easier to be a Zealot if the deep seated race Issue is there. There was a time, just a few years ago, Southern Baptists were calling Mormonism a "cult." There are so many strange things about this southern embracing Republican zealotry that can be explained no other way. Put any sort or label you want but this ain't no f..king spin. Democrats have always been concerned with a safety net. When LBJ, after passing the Civil Rights Bill said, "We've lost the South for ten years." Wrong! His statement should have been, "We have lost the South." Think about it, so much of the South is poor and programs that address poverty are those like head start, aid to dependent children, medicaid, etc. All kinds of social programs would be dismantled by Romney the Mormon and Ryan the Catholic. I am amazed. It is f..king downright unChristian.

No comments: