Sunday, September 04, 2011

PARELLEL UNIVERSE

Reading an excerpt from Dick Chaney's book, "In My Time,"  is like visiting the Star Wars Cafe. Talk about escape from reality. I am amazed even for Cheny. I always thought the "neocons," were a routestep bunch of malcontents, whose spinning and hold on the real world is almost beyond the pale. At best, they live in a parallel universe.  

My disclaimer is that I have not read the book: A couple of excerpts before I became nauseous. I did read Maureen Dowd who is left of center, of course. I love her writing. Then I read in the "right of center" Wall Street Journal a book review and a long piece by another writer. The review was fairly objective but the other writer should be on Fox News. Give me a break!

Faced with the facts, Chaney unpacks his own views where the truth and reality are strictly coincidental. Biased? Absolutely as I think Chaney can soundly be accused of being the major culprit for Iraq. Even most reasonably credible "right of center" will admit that the Iraq war was based on a lie. No, I take it back. They won't admit it but we know it's true.   

Fortunately, at some point, George W. wised up but it was too late. I would sound like some West Coast Berzerkely type if I mentioned "war criminal" status for Chaney. As a very minimum, if I were a mom or dad whose son's life ended in that uncalled for war, I don't know how I would ever get over it. It was easy for Chaney to convince Bush to send kids to war as Chaney, of course, had other "priorities" and consequently didn't serve in Vietnam. How does draft-dodger sound? But, let's call it what he is: a combination spin and escape from reality. Chaney hasn't morph into it but has always been there. Don't confuse me with facts, I have my mind made up.

You would think that with the heart trouble, it would have softened him a bit. For most, it does. Lee Atwater, for example. He was a Republican strategist and a mean "mother" in politics--take no prisoners. When he got cancer, it changed him and before he died, he said something like,  "my illness has taught me something about the nature of humanity, love, brotherhood and relationships that I never understood." chamey hasn't come to that lesson. 

Putting the bad mouth on Colin Powell and Condi Rice should maybe elevate them in status. I've never been much of a fan of Colin Powell as I think he sold out, relatively speaking. It is sad to me because rarely in life does a single individual get a chance to change the course of history. Powell had his chance, I think, when he went before the UN to plead the case for invading Iraq. By his own admission, he had doubts about Iraq--he caved.

I might have to revisit the whole thing now that Chaney has dissed him. Maybe there's something I don't know. A last thing. I did read his cohart's (Rummy) book. I never got the feeling that Rumsfeld was mean spirited. Chaney, on the other hand, comes across as bitter with a few scores to settle.

No comments: