Wednesday, August 17, 2011

THANK YOU VERY MUCH

"Thank you very much." When I was a teenager I use to stand in front of the mirror and practice my Elvis impression. "Thank you very much." Elvis left us way too early.

I've never been one of those celebrity worshipping types. They seek fame and when they get it, all they can do is gripe about paparazzi hounding them because they are famous. Elvis seemed a little different. Timing, lots of things, some outrageous behavior, mostly generosity if myth stands for anything. Did Elvis go to buy a Cadillac and in asking the salesman how it did on gas, only to be told that if he had to asked that question, a Cadillac was not for him. Elvis bought the entire dealership of Cadillacs to give to his friends and oh by the way, fired the salesman. Myth? Probably!  But, it was Elvis and it was OK  

As a junior or senior in High School, I remember with much fondness, waiting in my 52 Chevy for early morning football practice. School had not even started and my enthsiasm for practicing football was not at razor pitch. It was about this time of year, August. "Don't Be Cruel" blaring over the radio. Elvis was my psych for pushing through.  Yesterday was the anniversary of his death.

No comments: