Tuesday, May 10, 2011

I agree with you.  Very gutsy call on the part of the President.  Especially the going into Pakistan without telling the Pakistanis part.  I liked that part of it best.  Well, I liked the getting Osama part best, but next best was the Pakistani thing. 
 
Regards celebrating Osama's death.  I had it explained to me and now I get it even though it's not in my nature.  I listened to a young woman on NPR the other day (and I guess the majority of those who were publicly celebrating were young people).  She celebrated.  She said she was 10 when 9/11 happened (she's 20 now).  She said it terrified her and that she it just seized her and came to dominate her life for a while.  She's still afraid of flying I think I heard her say.  And it came to me Brother, for kids that age 9/11 was their boogeyman.  When I was that age (8-12 I guess) I was terrified of two things; one was that the Soviet Union was going to nuc us and that I'd end up a nuclear mutant and the other was polio. Many nights I laid awake for hours worrying about one or the other.  Thank God Jonas Salk took care of polio, but the Soviet threat persisted for many years.  So, now I can see why people of her age would celebrate bin Laden's death with wild abandon.  To some extent they're free of the boogeyman.

WR, Col., USA, RET.

No comments: