Wednesday, May 11, 2016

The Hijab And The Citadel

I have always been amazed somewhat at the Citadel. In Vietnam, this Lieutenant would regale us with Citadel stories. Thinking about those, I doubt seriously that they will bend on the Muslim Hijab denial. 

Another LT had quite a different experience. He said he was on his knees, with a toothbrush, (part of hazing for new cadets) cleaning urinals and thought to himself, "My parents are paying good money for me to do this. (A public school but not cheap).  According to him, he quit the school. His parents never forgave him. To them,  being a cadet at "The Cidadel" was a sacred experience and to have a son who quit was akin to treason. I still remember the pathos in the LT's voice. I felt really sorry for him. I doubt the Cidadel will bend to what they consider, tradition. No "head covering" for God, him/herself even. 

Cidadel 

No comments: