Tuesday, May 10, 2016

PATIENTS RUNNING THE ASYLUM

San Francisco is a sports Mecca. Presently, there’s the Golden State Warriors (basketball) who have made history this year: won the most games ever and just won first playoff series. (2) The Oakland Athletics; and, the (3) San Francisco Giants, of course, who regularly in even years, win the “World Series.” Simply, the Bay Area is "sports rich" for the fans. 

My bias which is questionable to say the least--have always associated rabid sports fans with the middle class, blue collar which is stupid on my part. Amazing. Who could afford a ticket anyway. But, somebody does, the Giants are the most successful franchise I'm told in existence, sell out every game 43,000 plus, every single home game. 

However, I am fascinated with other stuff: for instance, the "Frisco Five" (love the moniker) who have been on a hunger strike. Now, another group protesting. Want to get rid of SF Police Chief and don't want the City (San Francisco) to cooperate with Feds on immigration.  Now, this already from probably the most “liberal” (hate labels) City in America--this particular group wants to make it more so. The patients running the asylum. LOL. Think Warriors and Go Giants. 

AN ASIDE. I remember coming back from Vietnam the first time and landing in San Francisco. I was in uniform and it was almost like I had leprosy. At first I couldn't figure it. At the airport, I went to get my ticket and suddenly I was the only one there. It was like a bunch of "quail," scattering. Even the Delta Airlines people. I was so naive. I said to the ticket agent, "what's going on?" She whispered. "You should change your clothes, our customers are afraid you will attract protesters." 

I finally got it and went into the bathroom and changed my uniform for some civvies. (had to buy a tee and some Bermuda shorts as we called them then). To this day you will never see me in shorts, not the the sharpest dresser anyway. I love San Francisco and wish that I hadn’t taken it so personally then. Could have said, “f..k you very much. “

No comments: