Saturday, August 08, 2015

FLABBERGASTED

In a real sense, I don't know why I should be surprised. F..K. By way of explanation, I am in an email group with several guys who served with me in the military. We've been together for years. Most are very conservative but their comments will give you an idea of what we are facing  in out country. Here are a few of their comments. Edited for brevity. 
Personally, I thought it was the best and most productive political debate that I have seen.  Almost, without exception, the candidates did really well.  With the exception of a couple I could vote for any one of them.

I am particularly high on the Governor of Ohio, John Kasich, Huckabee, Rubio, Cruz, & Carson.  I am hoping that whoever, Gets the nomination will select Dr. Carson for the VP Running mate.  believe he has brought several subjects to the table that may have been neglected by other candidates.

Walker ---a very good man, but probably didn't help him self at the debate...not sure.. Has done a great job in Wisconsin.

There must be huge interest in this upcoming election since 20 Million viewers watched the debate...largest ever.

Bottom Line;  I think it is going to be an exciting campaign/election.

REBUTTAL 

Thanks for the cogent comments about the debate. I watched a little just to see "the Donald" as he is the only one with any color and just to see his hair was worth it. And, let's face it. Fox News! Give me a break. They don't have anything but beautiful types like the one the Donald called hormonal.  And, Mike Wallace has got to be turning over in his grave at Chris, his son in with Fox. 
I really think most of the debaters could be president. The Holy Spirit would have to write me a personal letter to get me to vote for a Republican, however. I like best Bobby Jindal and he can't even get out of the train station. 

We have so many problems in our country and it is "whistling Dixie" to think any of these could solve them. They know how to go after the "wedge" issues and that is about it. 

I think our system is broken and there's nothing we really can do about it. We keep electing the same people. I think the Republicans would basically tear down our social structure with what they are always talking about. Reduced budget, taxes, zap the poor, reward the rich, go to war. The Democrats aren't much better. We have enormous problems that need to be tackled : race, income inequity, RIFs, (reductions in Force, etc.) All the candidates were simply a chorus of the same old tired stuff. Maybe Rand Paul, at least he is different. 

I surely don't support Hillary. She and Bill are tainted or at best, so divisive that nothing gets done. I like Bernie Sanders, even though he is a Yankee. 

To be honest, I don't know what the future holds. I see lots of poverty around me in certain areas. The homeless population in the Bay Area, people begging, etc. has drastically increased. The Repubs would say, they just need to get a job or why don't we defund Planned Parenthood, that will solve the problem. 

Five million kids go to bed hungry every night. The "haves and have nots" make up a large part of America. And, politics ain't going to solve it. I think that we'll have a Republican Congress for a long time but the Repubs are not going to win the presidency as the same group that elected Obama are still in play. 

One of the hopes for us Democrats/Independents and a long shot, is social media. If we could get the millennials fired up, they are mostly open to possibilities but they don't vote yet. The party that corrals them with real substance could make a difference and make all the political money, mute. But, in my opinion, they are a long shot at best. 

Personally, I am not going to give much attention to politics, I am much more interested in baseball. Go Giants. 


No comments: