Tuesday, February 24, 2015

IDA

Fascinating movie that won the Academy Award for best Foreign Film. On the surface, a simple story, very well done and with a familiar but very complex theme. It was hard to nail down the message of IDA--does it have to have a message. It does to me. 

IDA, heading toward her vows in a cloistered nunnery sets out to discover her Aunt who is worldly. The Aunt decries all the experiences IDA is going to miss. IDA tries them and goes back to the Nunnery. We are left with the idea that all the worldly experience: music, sex, drinking are no great shakes or the lure of the cloistered life is in the final analysis, the life for IDA. 

I don't know. Really I don't. I can hardly fathom someone locking themselves away. Not just the Catholics but Buddhist, whoever. My problem. 

See this movie, if for no other reason than the unbelievably stark black and white Polish countryside. 

No comments: