Saturday, October 25, 2014

DO WE HAVE REGRETS

Absolutely, I have regrets. I often discuss with my GFs (old guys I hang out with that are affectionally called Girlfriends) such esoteric questions. They lie. I expect them too. Who wants to talk about their "fuck ups." Most people will say they don't have any regrets. 
Do you have any regrets? 
No. 
Not a one? 
No. 
You would live your life just as you have? 
Yes. Wouldn't change a thing. 

Damn. F..k. LIARS! (Good natureley. This is how we are. We could care less about feelings. All of us love to be brutally frank. One of the few places in our cultures where we can lay it all out).  I have so many regrets that I want to say, "How much time do you have?" 

The flip side of the coin is that when we look at things retrospectively, what we may have thought at the time was disastrous may actually have been good. Here's my example: since America is crazed about football, I will use my brief football career. I was on a partial scholarship at my college and was really struggling with academics while trying to make the team. I was about 10th string. At one football practice, I got in a fight with one of the star players. It really was not my fault I don't think. We were just lightly hitting and this guy knocked me on my posterior about three times. The coaches and most of the team were enjoying it until I really socked him and almost knocked him out. 

The coach threw me off the team. By school rules, they couldn't take my scholarship unless I voluntarily gave it up. I wouldn't do it but the Coaches really bullied me and finally I gave in. It is one of my regrets. I think. I should have stuck it out. Shortly, thereafter, I failed out of school and was drafted into the Army. Almost all of the football team avoided Vietnam. In hindsight, maybe it was the best thing that could have happened to me. 

No comments: