Sunday, March 09, 2014

HOW WE DIE

A friend sent this along. I felt the need to respond since I have read the book. 

To Dr. Nuland, "death was messy and frequently humiliating, and he believed that seeking the good death was pointless and an exercise in self-deception. He maintained that only an uncommon few, through a lucky confluence of circumstances, reached life’s end before the destructiveness of dying eroded their humanity."

“I have not seen much dignity in the process by which we die.” 

I am going to give this some thought. But, I don't think I totally agree with him. Death with dignity is possible with a belief that something comes after. (Doesn't make any real difference if it is true or not. Only the one believing it has to accept it). It can't be reasoned, only through one's faith (maybe). The end on this earth, free from pain, can be achieved while looking forward to the next life-- regardless of how it has been constructed. Amen

Plus, my experience does not bear out Dr Nuland's views, totally. I can name several that I have known who have left this earth in what I considered dignity. I think there is a process of shutting down which we are often reluctant to let happen and should be more amenable too. Our worst fault is to deny. 

No comments: