Sunday, February 16, 2014

DOWNTON ABBEY

Downton Abbey is a soap opera, season 4, set in England just prior to WWll. (Not even sure I have all this right) I am more amazed that we are fixated on the English life of Earls and Dukes, big land owners, titles which is all bullshit and an anathema to all we believe and stand for. I AM GUILTY: HOOKED ON DOWNTON ABBEY. 

Consequently, what is it that make Americans like me who love America and our way of life watch DA? Could I get back to you on that? Well, the characters are compelling, acting is good and it is a way of life none of us know much about. We do have "class" in America but we deny it. We are not bound to it because there is the over riding concept of freedom. Even the poorest can say to a government official, the rich, the powerful, go f..k yourself. He might get fired, evicted, whatever but he can still do it and nobody blinks am eye. In San Fran, you can stand on any street corner and hear five languages. And, most everybody gets along. 

I don't know why we love this particular soap. To be honest, I often thought the same with my mom. She watched all the soaps, "As The World Turns, Shining Light, whatever." When I was in college, she would call me up with a guilt trip, "you never come home." (Not True) I would pile in my old 49 Ford and head out. She hugged and kissed me and resumed watching her soaps She would often talk about the characters like they were real. Hope it is not in my genes. 

Downton Abby has its detractors but not many that I see. Weird with servants, waited on,  hand and foot, as my Mom would say. None of them would know work if it ran over them. Well hell, the Brits still have a Queen. I don't get it. LOL. But I am not going to quit watching. Like many "Mericans," I am hooked. I want Bates to kill the man who raped his wife. He knows who it is. My favorite character is Carson, the head servant and the keeper of tradition. See what I mean. Mary is coming around. Matthew, her deceased husband, was a favorite. Issues are not lightweight: abortion, race; almost worth watching for Maggie Smith. I am looking for me a Downton Abbey hero. I'll get back to you. 




No comments: