Sunday, May 12, 2013

MOTHER'S DAY

MOTHER'S DAY. My wife said about
Mother's day, "tell the kids that the greatest gift is their family." Plus, flowers for Rose's mom, in honor of Rose. This has become a bit of a ritual: I go to my favorite flower shop in North Beach, looking for a flower called, Lilly of the Valley. They don't have it. I go to Trader Joe's--they have great flowers. Some knowledgeable woman tells me that Lilly of the Valley is a specialized flower that we don't have in America. What! It is not that I don't believe her but go to Safeway where they seem to have a variety of flowers, also. A young Asian lady offers to help. It is hard to convince her that I am not talking about "Lillies." I finally give up and pick out a beautiful mixed bouquet and literally run up Taylor Street to Rose's house. It is a pretty tough climb. In my mind's eye, I can see Rose smiling.

I ring the bell at Rose's house. I hear the phone ringing. Just as Rose's mom opens the door, the answering machine comes on. It is Rose's voice on the answering machine message. Her Mom has never changed it. I am deeply touched in hearing Rose's voice. It is like Rose is making her presence felt. I am so glad that I followed my instincts and got flowers. I definitely know it was Rose.


No comments: