Saturday, June 12, 2010

A WAR STORY


Our unit in Nam was operating in a free fire zone, (nobody suppose to be there, meaning, Vietnamese). Along beside this stream was a few little huts. It had been raining like if you ever saw Forest Gump, rained so hard it was sideways, about as miserable as you can imagine. So, at night, it was quite a treat to slip inside one of these huts and get a little sleep. The huts had almost no roof and so the rain poured in but still, something. Some straw was on the floor. It was about three in the morning and I was awaken by something on me, you guessed it: a rat and not a field mouse either, something like a small cat. For whatever reason, I was calm as a cucumber and remembered that several of our guys had been bitten and had to take these gosh awful tetanus shots or whatever they give you for possible ravenous rat bites: had to take them in the belly. I turned my head to the side and there was a platoon of rats, they were in a line to walk across me. Would you believe that I lay there and they all walked across and I didn't get bitten. Should I put this in the miracle category.

No comments: