Wednesday, June 09, 2010

DIFFERENT STROKES FOR DIFFERENT FOLKS

On Talk of the Nation on NPR (National Public Radio), I listened to a
program about Muslim Women wearing the habib I think it's called,
covering the head. They had some women on who heads (no pun intended)
some organization of supporting women who cover, etc, then some twenty
something Muslim who was covered, very conservative and wearing it was
a great dedication to God she allowed. Then we had all these women
calling in. Some Mormon types wearing a special type of underwear,
both men and women. Then some young Pentecostal female called in
telling about her devotion to God by justifying it all with Scripture.
She wore long dresses

I was doing OK listening till all this "prooftexting" of the Bible
started. Prooftexing is taking a small portion of something and
applying it to a broad princrple. The "prooftexer refuses to accept
the whole scripture: that which comes before and after.

As a person of faith, this proof texting doesn't do a thing for me.
Religious people can do anything they please but for goodness sakes
don't try to justify what you are doing by prooftexting the Bible. The
radical Muslims do it by the use of the Koran. I don't know the Koran
but I do know the Bible. One big difference in radical Muslims, I
guess, is they have moved to violence. Christians in modern times,
other than the occasional abortion idiot, are not running around
trying to kill people. Sorry, I digress.

Prooftexting the Bible shows people's ignorance I think. The Bible is
a wonderful book and I believe it. And, as my seminary professor, Dr
Boyce, use to say, treat the Old Testament, as Wisdom literature,
meaning great stories. But, arguing the Bible is mostly a waste of
time for thinking people unless you simply agree to disagree. My
advice, stick to the gospels: Matthew, Mark, Luke, and John. They are
about what Jesus said and did.

No comments: