Saturday, July 12, 2008

A PHILOSOPHY OF GIVING


***I’m sorry I can’t send you a personal email but with over 2,600 individuals in our address book it just isn’t practical. I hope you understand?

As is the case each summer, I am offering you a special gift in return for helping us through the dog days of summer. This is the time of the year when donations drop-off dramatically. It happens every summer. So, I have an incentive to consider sending something extra this month to help Vets With A Mission through the summer shortfall. On a first-come, first-donation received basis of $100 or more, as long as supplies last, you get your choice of one of the following books:

PS: If you would like to make a donation online through our secure web site click here: http://www.vwam.com/donations_usa.htm . Then send me an email to vetswithamission@backroads.net and let me know which book you would like.


***The above excerpt from an email gave me a chance to define my own view of giving.

I've expressed this view before but as usual, no one was listening--I like the idea of giving to individuals as opposed to organizations. This isn't always practical and organizations have to come into play but even with that, a person should follow the gifts and know where the money is going. Usually, the tax deduction issue comes up. Individuals have to decide on how important it is: personally, I don't think it's very important.

The little nonprofit that I'm involved with, Vietvets Family Project, has built two schools in Vietnam, plus a language lab in the old Cholon section of Saigon. We don't raise money, just word of mouth in case somebody wants to give to someone and run it through us, i. e., like a student. (Don't even know if this is legal, as we've never done it but sure that other nonprofits do). The worker bees, of VVFP, me and two other Vietvets, keep it simple.

This is not a pitch but just follows the idea of giving to individuals. A couple of the "girlfriends" gave this gal with terminal cancer a few bucks, as Andy says, a "C" note, to help her with expenses as she was going to Santa Monica for treatment. This was good and they got points but should have given a few thousand as they could afford it.

My basic view is that most people are pretty selfish and don't give. To be a little kinder and not appear judgemental, let me say it this way: most people simply don't think much about sharing their bountiful resources and they don't. I have stories but will spare you.

OK I'm ending this treatise as I'm certain you are hanging on every word.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

HI ,
Increase your revenue 100% of your blog by converting into free website.
Convert your blog "yourname.blogspot.com" to www.yourname.com completely free.
Become proud owner of the (.com) own site .
we provide you free website+ free web hosting + list of your choice of scripts like(blog scripts,CMS scripts, forums scripts and
many scripts) all the above services are absolutely free.
You can also start earning money from your blog by referring your friends.
Please visit www.hyperwebenable.com for more info.
regards
www.hyperwebenable.com