Saturday, July 05, 2008

JESSE

As far as I know, my mom only voted one time in her life. It was when
Jesse Helms ran for the Senate. She use to watch him on WRAL TV in
Raleigh. It really didn't make any difference about the subject or
issue, Jesse was always running. To my mom, Jesse was the embodiment
of tradition and old time American values. The fact that Jesse
switched from Democrat to Republican should have caused her pause but
it didn't.

I was sad to read of his death even though it was time, 86. Based on
where one stood politically, maybe emotionally, is how one sees Jesse.
To some, he was a bigot, divisive, mean spirited with a talent for
character assassination.

To those like my Mom, he was a God fearing man who wanted prayer in
the schools, supported a strong military, was against taxes and was
for the "little" man whoever he/she might be.

In short, Jesse was probably somewhere in between. He was a
politician,afterall. An African American friend of mine, a fellow
North Carolinian said over breakfast the day after Jesse had gone on
to his reward that he was the least racist of any politician he knew.
I don't know how he knew but I think he's close to the truth. Jesse
could play to his audience. And, my Mom was on the front row.

No comments: