Wednesday, March 12, 2008

PRINCIPLED

Now that is a concept in this world. Most of the principled folks that I can call up are fictional. I always think of Gus, in the TV mini series, Lonesome Dove. When Blue Duck, the notorious savage Indian, stole Lorena, a member of the "oldest profession," Gus, the renaissance man, did not sit around and wonder what he should do. He immediately went after her because it is what a "principled" person does.

Who is a nonfictional one? Well, maybe the top commander in the Mideast who was forced out because he rankled the Prez and all his less than stellar crop of administration figures. I don't know the man and stick to my belief that most who become generals and admirals do lots of compromising along the way or else they wouldn't make it. And, let's face it, his job, although sounding high falooting, is more figurehead than anything. But, getting rid of the opposition is a trademark of this present crowd of "deciders."

However, let's give the good Admiral the benefit of the doubt: he stuck with his principles. And, the whole idea of "principled" is worth thinking about as obviously it is way down the food chain for most of our culture.

How about some more fictional examples? Kevin Costner in Open Range says, "There's some things worse than dying." (meaning not standing up for your rights). I liked it too when the gunfight is inevitable and he says to the chief gunfighter, "Are you the one who killed my friend?" An affirmative answer brings the gunfighter's demise. Then my all time favorite movie, Scent of a Woman , when Al Pacino, as retired Lieutenant Colonel Frank Slade says in the famous speech scene that no doubt contributed to his getting an Academy award. "I don't know where Charlie's silence here today is right or wrong. I'm no judge or jury but I can tell you this, he won't sell anybody out to buy his future. And, that my friends, is character" (Principles); and, then who can forget him saying in the same speech, "I have come to the crossroads of my life and I've always known what was the right way to go. But, I didn't take it and know why? It was too damn hard. And, here's Charlie, he's come to the crossroads in his life and he's chosen a path, the hard path, the right path." Principled.

And, who can forget Clint in Unforgiven: "you better give Ned a proper burial or I'm going to come back and kill you and your families." (Principles) And, what about Omar Little late of The Wire, the best show on TV. I'm still sad it is over but Omar robbed drug dealers and was often a modern day Robbin Hood. Omar had principles. I could go on and on.

The fact is that most of the principled types are fiction and easy to understand: writers and movie makers can make anything they want happen with their characters. Down deep, most all want some "principled" characters as their heroes. But, real life is lots more difficult. One only has to read a daily paper to get how hard it is--Plenty of examples of unprincipled acts.

Now, here's a recent example of an unprincipled happening. The former Attorney General who is now a consultant, just got a lucrative government contract worth millions for one of his clients without competitive bidding--given by someone who worked for him when he was in government.

And, then heaven help us, I can almost not bring myself to say John McCain is unprincipled but how could a guy who was tortured for five years go along with "water boarding" in the guise of getting info out of bad guys. And, against the rules of our own Army merely because the CIA wants it. Please, the CIA, who often appear to be able to screw up a two car procession, says they need the authority. Practically, let's face it, we are talking philosophy here. On some remote hill in Afghanistan, who knows what some American soldier might do but for us as a nation to uphold such a barbaric practice is simply morally indefensible. I can tell you this for sure: Randolph Scott would not do it.

No comments: