Sunday, March 30, 2008

AMERICA IN A VACUMN

As I've been watching the March Madness of basketball, I have been quite amazed at how surreal are the times in which we live. Think about the issues in our country: we are in the throws of a political campaign, war is raging in Iraq with no end in sight and a reality on the part of the "decider" which borders on insanity.

We are in a financial recession. I mean, even someone who knows only what I read, can see that we are in a mess: sub prime loans, big debt; Record numbers are losing their homes, we are talking hard working people, not some sleazy opportunists with big bellies and a roll of cash. There are some of them, but not the majority who are being foreclosed.

And, of course, our Leader is a master at denial. I've always liked the man, really; but denial has become such a trademark that it is smothering the country. In a sense, I don't know what I want us to do. I guess admit the jam we're in and treat it like this is life changing which it is. I am decidedly biased mainly because I cannot conceive that we would go for another eight years of what we have seen; worst deficit in history and two wars. But, then again, I don't get it. I've always felt that politics is corruptive in a sense. Elect someone and then immediately, reelection is the goal. This is all old news but I want to jump up and say, what is this? It is not business as usual. We have wars, financial crisis, wake up and smell the roses.

No comments: