Thursday, March 02, 2006

COMMO

Communicating is really a heavy duty issue with the girlfriends. We all mainly try to talk at once and on occasion have to have a monitor. We had such an interesting talk this morning at the gathering of the "girlfriends." It had to do with styles of commo. Michael is the "in your face," adinfiinitum type. We have a little joke that he's suppose to keep me close by so I can say, "what Michael meant to say." Funny and then there is Gary who is of a nature to constantly skate around less they confront, which I understand. The thing that drives me crazy about Gary is that he is constantly giving us what I call his, "I think." Gary, have you asked Joan what she feels about so and so. No, not directly but "I thiink" she feels this way. And, then he takes it as that is the way it is. Funny. And, the flip side of the coin is that we are a bunch of old guys by in large just shooting the breeze.

In most ways, commo is about style. One of the difficult things is that we are all shooting for a balance. I basically believe that all of us would be better mostly if we had straight forward commo where we could discuss things openly. I've read John Powell's book, Why Am I Afraid To Tell You Who I Am several times. He's a priest and this is the first place I'd ever heard this: straight forward communication. It really is what most of life is about if you think about it: in relational issues.

No comments: