Thursday, May 15, 2014

The VA

The VA does as well as it can, I believe. My experience has always been good. The San Francisco VA will rival any HMO in America, hands down. I am no spokesman for the VA or anybody for that matter. 

My initial experience wasn't great mainly because of the entrenched civilians who were the admin. Ten years later, I decided to try again and as my wife says, I just love to smell the soldiers. True, there simply is an affinity with those who have shared experiences. VA has improved. And, most of the docs (in Frisco) are from UCSF (University of Californis, San Francisco) which is the med school. A vet goes to the doc. Intern sees him. Asks a bunch of questions, tells him he thinks this. Goes out, gets his supervisor who comes in. Asks a bunch of questions. Makes diagnosis. Decides on treatment. This is top notch. Doesn't get any better. 

Is the scandal in AZ a big problem, waiting on appointments and in some cases while waiting, the Vet dies. Pretty sad and complicated and is more intricate than a TV sound bite. It wouldn't happen in San Fran, I assure you. And, shouldn't anywhere. Shinseki's fault? No. Let's give him  slack. I became a fan when Shinseki was the only general who raised questions before our stupidity in Iraq. That alone is enough to give him bigtime slack. 

No comments: