Wednesday, December 04, 2013

100 Million TO ERADICATE AIDS

A few days ago, it was AIDs Awareness Day. I didn't even know it. Talk about something that has moved out of the American conscience, We really ought to be ASHAMED. 

HIV can now be treated with antiviral drugs and so those who have contracted the disease can basically live long and productive lives. But, what about the memories of those who died before we figured it out: million plus for sure. "Dallas Buyers Club" reminded me of the AIDS crisis in full bloom which I witnessed. I remember being at Letterman Army Hospital when it was a full scale teaching hospital. (Closed now) If I remember correctly, we had an entire ward (maybe 50 or 60 soldiers) of HIV patients and the Army didn't have a clue what to do. 

Gays were dying right and left. I let them use the Chapel for Memorial Services. In the Chapel with a room full of men crying was quite the experience. We had a little drama: one of the other chaplains snitched on me for letting this civilian pastor use the chapel. The Commander, can't remember his name, told me to cut it out. I ignored him. He calls me to his office, we get in a shouting match and I call him an asshole. He fires me. Dang, what times! When I finish the book I'm working on, I am going to write a book about Letterman. 

These were really sad times. There were so many tentacles to the AIDS crisis. I had to put my own sense of morality, whatever that might have been, aside and serve what/who was in front of me. Sometimes I witnessed simple acts of courage. At other times  a touch of judgement, from parents, usually. More than once a parent, who lived far away, would come to town. Their son had died. Unfortunately, he had not taken care of the legal stuff. The "next of Kin" as we say in the military was still the parents. The son often had a partner who was overwhelmed with grief. The parents in judgement ignored the partner. They packed up the son's belongings and made arrangement for his body to be shipped to his home of record. The emotional trauma around this is greater than could be imagined. 

The President has pledged a hundred million for the eradication of AIDS. For gays, the lesson is do your part, cut out risky behavior or I am going to kick your ass. 


No comments: