Wednesday, November 13, 2013

DALLAS BUYERS CLUB

I saw "Dallas Buyers Club." Good, maybe great movie.  Matthew McConaughey was terrific. Because  I live in San Francisco, I identity more with the entire AIDs scene. I was here when gays, in particular, were dying right and left. The movie dealt with being gay and dying and the lack of empathy and basic ignorance toward AIDS. 

 McConaughey was a maxed out hustler, rodeo rider, kind of like minor leagues. Based on a true story. The government,  medical community, all came out looking pretty bad. Given 30 days to live, after being diagnosed as being HIV positive, he states in dramatic fashion, "there ain't nothing that can kill me in 30 days." Texas electrician Ron Woodroof, (McConaughey) delivers the performance of his career, characterized not just by an astonishing physical transformation like losing 40 pounds but a determination to find a way out. Along the way, he encounters the heart of the movie, the transvestite, Rayan. 

There are a lot who can review this movie better than me but my slant would be a little different, having witnessed the utter ruthlessness of the killer, AIDS, I was moved on many levels. 

The portrayal of homophobia and ignorance was masterfully done. Well, it is Texas. Terrific movie and if McConaughey doesn't get an academy award, I will be fooled. 

The transvestite, Rayan, reminded me of an incident involving my brother who was such a wonderful older brother (As much as I loved him, will have to acknowledge his slight homophobia) and who recently transitioned to the next life. Raz came out to visit me in San Francisco years ago. Both of us love movies and so one afternoon, we go to the movies. I go in and sit down. He doesn't come and doesn't come. Finally, I go looking for him. He would talk to anyone.

When I find him, he is talking to this beautiful woman. As I stand and look, I realize "She" is actually a "He." He/She was gorgeous, just as Rayan was (in fact I will use the pronoun, she--I love her). I finally pulled Raz away and gave him the news. He refused to believe it. Over the years, I have gotten a lot of mileage out of that story. God bless you, Raz. Miss you so much. jda


No comments: