Saturday, May 16, 2009

RESPONSE TO A SOLDIER
ON HIS THIRD TOUR IN IRAQ

Hey Sir,
I willingly admit that being away from home is the hardest part of my job and pretty much the only thing I ever worry about while I'm here. For all the mess that one can find himself surrounded by in a place like this, my only concerns are with my family. Something I know you and Dad can relate too. But, it is the nature of my chosen profession.

I've seen alot of changes here over the three trips. The most glaring differences between this trip and the last... Lights and silence. Since I'm mostly nocturnal in my mission execution, ground/city lights are noticeable. The first time we were here, there were only very small pockets of light around the largest population bases, i.e. Baghdad, Kirkuk, Mosul, etc... But they were subject to what I can only equate to rolling blackouts - now you see 'em, now you don't. The second time we were here, the pockets of light had been extended to cover more of the country side, but there were still huge seas of black and blackouts were still commonplace. This time, amazing... You can literally see the veins of light connecting all of the cities and towns. Hard to explain, but there was a big "wow" factor there for me. As far as the silence, I'm referring to the radio traffic. Even at peak launch and recovery times, it doesn't come any where close to the insanity that it was over the first two rotations. I can literally travel from one place to another and only hear a couple of other transmissions in route. Again, hard to do it justice in words, but also pretty "wow".



It is great hearing and thanks for the good sitrep (situation report). I keep hearing that violence is down and my usual retort is, "says who." With regular
bombings of civilians, etc; but your comments about lights staying on and radio message traffic confirms it. At least it sounds like the country views itself
as safer. I am still skeptical of being able to get out of Iraq. My feelings all along have been that our cultural and value systems are so diametrically opposed, that it cannot be overcome. To involve ourselves in a situation like this, to me, is and has been insane.

I surely understand the family thing. It is an enormous sacrifice, the absences in particular. Those are times that you cannot make up and very few in the American society understand it. I remain concerned about the Army's future as we become more and more a subculture within the greater culture. I am constantly hearing people in really high places comment about the military and it is obvious they don't understand it at all. Even the President often appears a little flumoxxed, and I think that he listens way too much to the generals. They always want "more troops." Westmoreland said in 65, give us more troops and we'll be home by Christmas: we didn't know he was talking ten years later.

It is so great that your family is around your folks. Your Dad,
like me, loves being a grandpa. I never felt like I was such a hot
dad, gone so much but I'm really making up for it as a grandpa. I bet
your Dad feels a little of the same way.

God bless. Is there anything I can send you? One thing is my good
thoughts and prayers.

No comments: