Sunday, February 15, 2009

HOW IS THE PREZ DOING?

Well, a couple of months have passed and we are actually into the new presidency. I thought, at first, that Obama had things pretty well together; for example, I thought the transition went pretty smoothly. But then his staff let him down by not properly vetting some of his key nominees, and the Democrats in Congress back-doored him by stuffing the stimulus package with pork which infuriates the Republicans, as it should all of us, and then he and his team haven't marketed the plan very well. That is they haven't tied specific elements of the plan to job creation. So, at this point, I'm a bit disappointed as opposed to being elated. All of this criticism after he's only been in office for 2 1/2 weeks. Wow! What an impatient, arrogant a-hole I am. I sincerely hope the situation he's in isn't the "perfect storm;" that is a combination of conditions - domestic, world-wide and economic - that will converge to overwhelm any person or team, no matter how good or well-intended. I'll tell you though, I continue to be very concerned about the state of our economy even though people continue to shop, eat out, go to movies, etc. Could this all be a case of a self fulfilling prophecy? wr

The economy where we are is not as bad as in other parts of the country, but it is definitely affecting everyone. Businesses closing every day, people out of work, retail really suffering, retirements disappearing, housing market down, down, etc. I know something must be done, but am just not convinced this huge trillions of dollars stimulus package is the answer. We are just saddling our grandchildren with unimaginable debt, and I don't feel good about that at all. I heard Obama say at a town meeting this week that if it doesn't work, we will have another president in 4 years. I know he is doing the best he can with the hand he was dealt, and all we can do is pray he is right. I wish him only the best.bbc


To be perfectly honest, I am more a fan than ever. There have been a couple of glitches but in truth, it says to me that he's not getting a pass for being black. But, I think he's a real thinker and what several have said about him is that he has the ability to think the long term and the short term. And, I like the idea that he doesn't mind facing things and saying, "If he can't turn this around, he should be a one term president." And, then admitting he screwed up, what about that? In my life time, I don't remember a president or most any politician admitting they were wrong.

I see the Republicans as a bunch of obstructionists who are so gutless as not to repudiate a dope head like Rush Limbaugh. I think the stimulus bill, although not perfect, but who knows, what would be perfect--we're in unchartered territory but to do nothing is criminal, based on where we are now. And, Obama says let's go forward. I'm for it.

Frankly I was disappointed in Dasche, as I've always liked him but money is a heavy duty issue. And, now we have Burris. I think that is going to turn out to be a mess. Power and money are surely courrupting. jda

No comments: