Thursday, January 29, 2009

THE PREZ IS A HUGGER

As a rule, I pretty much thought men were not huggers. But it looks like there's a general trend toward hugging. I like it. I am seeing more and more men hugging. I always hug. Some are a little uncomfortable with the bear hugging that I like. If I don't like them all that much, they get a semi-hug. This is a kind of upper body hug, a little akin to the Mafia hugs like on the Sopranos. A little better than the European cheek kissing but not nearly as good as a bear hug. What also works well is a group hug. This way, you can include all, whether you like them or not.

Our new President elect appears to be a somewhat semi-hugging type; occasionally a "bear hug. " The best one I've seen him do was on Vets Day with Tammy Duckworth, who lost both legs in Iraq. Also, on the night of the election, he and Joe Biden were hugging machines, each other, the kids. Anybody within range. What I've noticed with all the cabinet appointments is that the president elect shakes hands, leans into the person and gives them a back pat. I'm calling this a semi-hug. Pretty good!

Us "GIRLFRIENDS" us old guys,the vets: we go for the hugs. And, we are all into group hugs which is good especially if men are hug phobic. Sometimes we'll hug several times in a gathering: a hug when a guy leaves, group hug somewhere along the line. More guys leave, more hugs, group hugs. You get the picture.

During this economic down, especially with all the dismal news, let's get out and hug a few people. We'll all feel better for it.

No comments: