Wednesday, June 04, 2008

BASHING HILLARY

FINISHING THE SEASON. In the movie, Bull Durham, Kevin Costner, a minor league baseball catcher is released. He comes by to see his love interest who has a voice over once he leaves and says, “he has to finish the season.” I feel this way about Hillary. When I hear those criticizing her, I think, give me a break: she is just finishing the season.

And, she has done just that. Even though she lost the nomination, the media cannot cease bashing her. I am fascinated in how vitriolic some are toward her. I have been a supporter all along if for no other reason than she is a woman. Men have screwed up the country so much, let's give a woman a shot. Didn't happen. And, I am amazed that she did not get the nomination. My disclaimer, as if anybody is interested, "I would vote for almost anybody if he/she were a Democrat." I made my mistake for “W” first term. And, who likes all the Congressional types who call themselves Democrats? Or, say, Howard Dean. Well, not I! But, of all things considered, based on performance and the mess our country is in, putting the Democrats in gives us the best chance to right a whole series of disasters, mainly Iraq.

But, of all the things I’ve felt bad about this campaign, it is that Hillary has been treated so badly by the news media. I don’t think anyone who is the least bit objective can deny it; shameful as my Mom would say. There has been almost no subject that she has not taken abuse on: the “talking heads” foray of her remarks about JFK’s assassination as if she meant somebody is going to knock off Barack. Please! These O’Reilleys and Limbaughs need to get a life. But, it really is not only them, teh main street media too--amazing that the people, especially where she has won, have risen above the media negativity and voted for her.

In some ways, it is simply politics as I see it but then again, it isn't. To be honest, always in the past, I have not been so overwhelmed about the presidency, thinking having a majority in Congress counter-balances but "W" has made me think differently: a president can take you to war and that makes all the difference in the world. And, this president has done that and now we are in a debacle from which we cannot extract ourselves.

Congratulations to Hillary for finishing the season.

No comments: