Sunday, May 25, 2008

SEMPI FI


Got to love the Marines and this is coming from an Army guy. Simply, there's something about them: the last vestige of "hardcore" that seems to be willing to go to the ultimate--just average guys or maybe even troubled ones, marginalized but once a Marine, it is Sempi Fi forever.

In the local paper a few days ago, there was an article showing Marine training ending with a grueling forced march, miles in full pack--enduring all to finally become a Marine. Makes me proud to know we still have kids who are willing to push themselves. Then in Parade Magazine there was a very heart warming article about a Marine remembering those 36 days on Iwo Jima. He told his story, the one of shooting at the infamous flag of Flags of our Fathers, thinking its flapping was an enemy soldier. And, actually putting a hole in it; the second stripe according to him. He was so funny and self effacing, "I should have been court martialed," he said. And, then there's his very moving story of sending back some Japanese souvenirs to a surviving relative--quite a story.

What I liked most though was his picture, grizzled in his uniform, smiling, holding his photo as a young man. And, then get this, he had three ribbons. Contrast this with the picture of all the generals parading on TV with all these rows of ribbons. Give me a break. They could learn a thing or two from Richard Nummer, age 82. Well, for that manner, all of us could.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I'm not sure how things are today, but in my day, the Marines were the best. I watched both Marines and Soldiers train. I lived amongst both as an adult, and I have to say I had more respect for Marines' discipline.

Having said that...some of the DUMBEST men I've ever met were Marines. I mean they enlisted some real rocks. Anyone with an 88 IQ...if the Army wouldn't take 'em, the USMC would.

My late husband was a Marine, as was one of my brothers. We all served (my 3 brothers and I). I was a WAC in the early 70s, and then later became a Soldier.

My father was a 30-year man in the AirForce - joined back when they were till the Army Air Corp.

I've enjoyed reading your blog. You've got some really great entries. Thanks.